I’ll try to post some periodic updates. Definitely look for an overall report at the end. This should be a great weekend for KingCo Chess with all 8 KingCo state-qualifying teams seeded in the top 11:
#1 Lakeside A
#3 Interlake A
#5 Garfield A
#8 Tesla STEM
#9 Interlake B
#10 Lakeside B
#11 Mercer Island
A few notes for pairings fans:
- League protect: the league has rules about teams playing other teams from the same league. Those rules work as follows:
- No KingCo teams will play each other in Round 1. We weren’t expected to anyway with everyone in the top half, but it may shuffle a couple other pairings where perhaps a Metro team would be slated to play another Metro team.
- No KingCo teams will play each other in Rounds 2 or 3 if it’s possible to do so within the score group. So, for instance, if 8 teams end up 5-0 after Round 1, but five of them are from KingCo, two 5-0 KingCo teams will play each other in Round 2. But if only four of them are from KingCo, they will try to pit each 5-0 KingCo team against a team not from KingCo. At least as I read the rules.
- League protection is off for Rounds 4 and 5. No adjustments are made to the rules to prevent teams from the same league from playing.
- I would expect in the later rounds for a LOT of KingCo vs. KingCo matches with the seedings the way they are.